Thursday, April 12, 2007

Everything Was Beautiful, And Nothing Hurt

I know there are about a million people who will say this, but...

So it goes.

There's a ton of authors, screenwriters, and artists in general who owe their entire careers to Kurt Vonnegut. I owe several entertaining and thought-provoking moments at least.

Best moment from Vonnegut's life: his thesis for a Master's in anthropology was unanimously rejected by his committee at the University of Chicago. They came to their senses when he submitted "Cat's Cradle" as his thesis... some 20 years later. Which is what happens when you threaten the entire committee with ice-nine.

All time is all time. It does not change. It does not lend itself to warnings or explanations. It simply is. Take it moment by moment, and you will find that we are all, as I've said before, bugs in amber. - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (1922-2007)

2 comments:

Mike said...

So it goes indeed.

I can't believe I hadn't heard about this until now. My own post will follow at some point.

Michael said...

So it goes.

One day, I'll meet Kurt in the Galapagos, and I'll stretch out my flipper to shake his hand...

So it goes.