Saturday, March 18, 2006

More Drug War Silliness

I wonder how much money the U.S. government wasted bringing this guy to justice. I'm not a big fan of marijuana, but I have absolutely no idea why it's illegal. Even if we do accept its illegality, I certainly don't think we ought to be trampling on the sovereignty of our closest ally in order to enforce one of our less important laws. If this guy were a mass murderer, a terrorist, a counterfeiter, sure. But a marijuana peddler? We invade Canada to shut down a pot shop? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

What also bugs me is that the DEA was trying to deal a blow to the marijuana legalization movement. I don't know how the DEA thought it had the duty to quash dissent on this issue, but that's a notion it needs to be relieved of post-haste. Honestly, if I were a DEA agent, I'd welcome the legalization of marijuana... less work for me.

On an unrelated note, congratulations to Eliot Spitzer and the rest of the state AGs for successfully getting the courts to strike down Bush's weak pollution standards. Of course, Congress will probably repeal the old ones anyway, but it's good to know that at least someone thinks that the President should listen to Congress on something.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Wait, I'm confused. We entered another country to bust someone? Does that sound weird and scary to anyone else? Nevermind that what we busted him for SHOULDN'T BE ILLEGAL ANYWAY, YOU MORONS, BECAUSE POT IS NOT A GATEWAY DRUG, IS LESS HARMFUL THAN CIGARETTES AND ALCOHOL, AND IT'S NOT LIKE YOUR LAWS EXACTLY PREVENT ITS CONSUMPTION ANYWAY. (Okay, I'm done now.)

Coming soon: pre-emptive strikes on the Netherlands.

Ben said...

Strangely enough, the issue of extradition, including kidnapping, is part of my National Security Law class today. Of course, it's in the context of terrorists, not pot-smokers. The only overlap would be if some terrorists smoked pot. "Let's blow up America." "In a sec...I've got the munchies."

Actually, I'm so behind I may never get to that topic in my reading, but it's an interesting coincidence.

Unknown said...

I don't even know where to start with this one. One could even argue that this one issue, decriminalization of mary jane, pushed me from Republican to Libertarian. Not that I smoke pot every day (I heard Hollywood and the DEA read this blog), it's just this one law symbolizes all that can be wrong with government. We waste way too much time and money and effort and fill our courts and prisons on this one leaf that pales in comparison to stuff like alcohol (which I can brew in my own home) and cigarettes (which I guess I could grow too).

I have regularly read news of Marc Emery and always hoped he'd win a political seat up in Canada. Now, the more I think of it, maybe this will turn out good: Canada can bitch slap the US gov't for messing in their neighborhood and maybe more people will start talking about the end of this stupid asinine law about marijuana.