Monday, May 08, 2006

The Super Inevitable Lag B'Omer Post

In honor of Lag B'Omer, the scholar's holiday, I present to you the story of Brad Seelig, a Jewish teen who stepped into the minefield of West Cary religious intolerance when he decided to wear a yarmulke to school. (Hat tip to Jamie, who used to live down the street from Green Hope High.) I knew a couple of students who wore yarmulkes to school in NoVa and got nothing more than a couple of raised eyebrows.

You know, I love the South, but sometimes it's a rocky relationship.

Brad, here's my advice to you. Wear the kipa. Without the cap. And if someone tells you you're going to Hell, smile and say: "I'll be seeing you there." (They don't have to know that you probably don't believe in Hell.) And to the assistant principal: no means no.

No comments: