Sunday, October 07, 2007

Snakes on a Base

So the D-Backs just got done thoroughly manhandling the Cubs in three games (helped, no doubt, by the cheering from the upper reaches of Section 301 in Game 2). I can't say this was a surprise to me, but...

Eight out of ten ESPN experts, as well as this guy, picked the Cubs to win, many in four games. So I have this question to ask - how the heck were so many people caught off guard by this? The D-backs won 90 games in baseball's toughest division despite an ugly 4-13 stretch in the middle of the season. The Cubs got 85 wins out of the godawful NL Central and wouldn't have even made the playoffs if not for an ugly tailspin by the Brewers. (The Brewers! They trailed the Brewers for most of the season! How can you trust a team like that?) By those stats alone the D-backs should have been favored. Who cares that the D-backs can't hit? No one can hit in the playoffs. You win in the playoffs behind reasonable starting pitching, an awesome bullpen, and solid defense. Arizona has all three.

Sure, I'm still trying to figure out how Stephen Drew is over .500 for the playoffs, but I'm not surprised that the team that was by far the better team season-long won the series easily. Why is everyone else?

Oh, and Stanford 24, USC 23... college football has officially jumped the shark.

3 comments:

Mike said...

With me, it was wishful thinking for my second favorite team in the NL, combined with the inexcusable fact that the Diamondbacks were outscored this season (I mean, seriously, wtf?)

Either way, my hat has officially been eaten over on my blog.

Matthew B. Novak said...

The Cubs are a team that ran very hot or very cold. I think most experts just assumed they'd be hot for the playoffs. Which was kind of stupid.

And not all college football is bad now. Just Division 1. D3 football is still pretty awesome. You should start paying attention to that - it's pretty rewarding. You should root for the Johnnies. They're pretty awesome. Heck, I'll even switch my NL loyalties from Rockies to D-Backs in exchange, if you're interested...

Matthew B. Novak said...

And while we're on baseball...

C.C. = Captain Cheeseburger. I mean, look at him!

It was a nickname bestowed by the greatest baseball blogger of all time: Batgirl. She's retired from blogging unfortunately, but she was brilliant. www.bat-girl.com