CBC wants to make a 49-song playlist for the new US President, and here are the songs that are up for nomination. I'd like to point out that the songs include:
- "Canada's Really Big" by the Arrogant Worms, the point of which is basically that Canada has no defining characteristic other than its size.
- "One Great City!" by the Weakerthans (awesome band, imagine the offspring of TMBG and the Decemberists), which ends each verse with "I hate Winnipeg." Oh yeah, did I mention they're from Winnipeg?
- "Acadian Driftwood" by The Band, the first song on the list - the vocals of which are provided by a dude from Arkansas.
- "American Woman" by the Guess Who, because the first thing you want the new American President to hear is "American woman, get away from me..."
- "If I Had $1000000" by the Barenaked Ladies, which given the state of our economy should really add a few zeroes to the title. "If I had a trillion dollars, I'd pay down our debt..."
- "Rockin' in the Free World" by Neil Young, which blatantly lampoons Bush 41.
- A song by the Crash Test Dummies that isn't "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm"
- Not a single song by The Dears, which is a HUGE travesty.
I think we should send them a mix tape back... first on the list should be "Blame Canada."