Monday, March 02, 2009

Federalism +1

More good news from the Obama camp:
U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder is sending strong signals that President Obama - who as a candidate said states should be allowed to make their own rules on medical marijuana - will end raids on pot dispensaries in California.

Asked at a Washington news conference Wednesday about Drug Enforcement Administration raids in California since Obama took office last month, Holder said the administration has changed its policy.

"What the president said during the campaign, you'll be surprised to know, will be consistent with what we'll be doing here in law enforcement," he said. "What he said during the campaign is now American policy."

OK, I'll file this under "I'll believe it when I see it," or when I don't see it for a while as it were, but there's reason to be cautiously optimistic here. If it does happen, great. It's not complete transfer of drug policy control to the states, which I think desperately needs to happen, but it's a pretty good start. The question now becomes: what will Obama and Holder do when the inevitable happens and some state repeals its law against marijuana altogether?

(I'm taking bets on what state will be the first. My money's on Oregon.)

Spotted on Brayton.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Other things that were once filed under "I'll believe it when I see it" included a Tampa Bay Rays World Series appearance and Chinese Democracy. So I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'm pretty sure Obama personally would favor marijuana legalization. Politically? Time will tell.

Miguel said...

It is a nice gesture, but until federal laws regarding drugs are repealed it's not much of one.

If this is the only thing he does, the next guy in is just going to undo it once Obama is in office. In fact, it's still possible Obama may go back on this gesture at any time.