Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Your Daily Timesuck

This site is a good way to procrastinate for a little while. It theoretically analyzes your writing to see what famous author you write like, but I think it just spits out random names. My last few posts got Dan Brown (really? I suck that much?), Chuck Palahniuk, James Fenimore Cooper, Douglas Adams (seriously the highlight of my day), Stephen King, P.G. Wodehouse, H.P. Lovecraft, and Kurt Vonnegut.

I had some fun feeding this thing actual quotes from authors. Adams came back as Adams, but Palahniuk consistently came back as King, and Asimov came back as Jane Austen.

2 comments:

Matthew B. Novak said...

From my blog I got James Joyce, Edgar Allen Poe (a post referencing death), and Stephen King (a long and mediocre post).

From my "I'm aspiring to write a novel" I got Douglas Adams, Kurt Vonnegut, and Arthur C. Clark (a chapter with a lot of science and some science fiction). And when I fed in a part of my novel that recaps a completely absurd version of history it came back as Dan Brown. (In all fairness to me, at this point of the book, I'm writing something funny, an acknowledged fake history. Not in any way would it ever be confused with Dan Brown).

I'm thinking this must look for some specific words more than style.

Mike said...

My most recent blog post got David Foster Wallace, and my first ever blog post got Douglas Adams. I can only conclude from this that my awesomeness defies description. This totally made my day.